Monday, March 28, 2011

Bananas Foster

This picture isn't of the finished product, but it is an "in progress" shot. I kind of got too excited when it was done and forgot to take a finished picture. I'll just have to do it again sometime so I can get one. :D

So, as you can expect, I was super excited for this one. Not only because it's delicious, but because I got to start a fire in my kitchen! My roommates were also very excited about this of course *shifty eyes*, LOL. In the end, despite their concerns, I think they were happy because they ate some pretty good bananas foster.

Any way, the recipe for this one is pretty simple:
1 stick of butter (your choice whether it's unsalted or not)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
4 bananas peeled and halved, cut lengthwise
1/4 cup of dark rum

Start of by melting the butter in a large skillet.

Add the brown sugar and stir together.

Add the bananas and cook until caramelized.

For the finishing touch, add the rum and ignite with a grill lighter (at least that's what I used, if you have a gas stove and are enough of a cooking pro, you can try to light it with that if you really want to. I take no responsibility for anyone spilling their bananas foster all over their stove though, :D) Just as a warning, the flame may jump fairly high, so don't be leaning over it when you do this.

Let the flame die down and serve it over what you fancy. I put it over vanilla ice cream, mmmm. But you could also serve it over some sort of cake if you wanted to as well.

This was really good in my opinion. Others were saying that they could taste a lot of rum, so you may want to stir it up well after the flame dies down. I don't think I would do much differently if I do it again, this was one of my favorites to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment