Monday, July 1, 2013
Sorry I that I missed the weekend, I was out of state staying at a place that didn't have free wifi. :( Here it is now without further delay!
One word: Nutella. What more do I need to say. Fine. How about, Ferrro Rocher? Yeah. That got your attention. This cupcake is made up of a delicious chocolate cake and filled and topped with chocolatey, hazelnutty goodness.
Here's how you make it:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup and 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup and 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 12 Ferrero Rochero
Nutella Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting:
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 6 Ferrero Rocher, halved
1. To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
4. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the instant coffee and hot coffee. Beat until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin enough to pour.
5. Divide it evenly among the lined cups.
6. Place a whole Ferrero Rochero in the center of each well. (You heard that right! Put a whole one right in there!)
7. Bake for 18-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
8. Let the cupcakes cool.
9. To make the frosting, combine the egg whites and sugar in a metal mixing bowl over simmering water. Heat the mixture to 160 degrees while whisking constantly.
10. Remove from the heat and with an electric mixer, beat on high speed until the mixture cools and forms stiff peaks. about 10-12 minutes. Note: It is important to let the mixture cool to room temperature, otherwise when you add the butter it will melt.
11. Add the butter one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. Note: The mixture may appear clumpy and almost curdled at first. This is normal. It's just how Swiss Meringue Buttercream works. Just keep mixing and it will become smooth again.
12. Add salt and vanilla. Mix to combine.
13. Set aside 1 cup of frosting for the vanilla portion of frosting.
14. Add Nutella to the remaining frosting combine thoroughly.
1. Fit the first pastry bag with a large round tip and fill with the Nutella frosting.
2. Hold the Nutella filled pastry bag directly top of the cupcake and squeeze to cover the cupcake.
3. Fill the second pastry bag fitted with a star tip with the vanilla frosting.
4. Put a small amount of the vanilla frosting on top of the Nutella frosting.
5. Top with half of a Ferrero Rochero.
Makes 12 cupcakes