Friday, July 27, 2012
Angel Food French Toast
One word to describe this dish: Heavenly! ... I'm sorry, that was bad... Angel Food French Toast is pretty tasty though. You're probably thinking, "how do you make the french toast taste like angel food cake?" This is accomplished by using angel food cake. That's right, this is made by using actual angel food cake instead of bread slices! Now you're probably asking, "do you eat this for breakfast or dessert?" The answer that I'm hoping all of you are looking for is: BOTH! This dish works well for both meals. It brings the best of both worlds together.
It's not too complicated, but here's how you make it:
Angel Food Cake, Sliced (You can make it yourself or use store bought loaves)
3/4 cup Milk
2 tsp Vanilla
Strawberry Syrup (You can use whatever kind of syrup you like, I just prefer strawberry)
Strawberries (or any other fruit)
1. Preheat a nonstick skillet or a nonstick griddle over medium heat.
2. Slice the angel food cake into 1-inch thick wedges.
3. In a shallow dish combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
4. Dredge the cake wedges in the egg mixture making sure to rotate and soak all sides of the cake.
5. Spray pan with cooking spray and cook wedges 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
6. Drizzle with syrup, add whipped cream and fruit. Serve immediately.
I've posted several sweet dessert related dishes now (it's my weakness), but I will be bringing you different meal time foods soon! I promise!